Friday, August 24, 2007

Working

Well, I'm trying to get back into the groove and it's not real easy. I wouldn't mind working the 10:00 am to 6:00 pm shift, in case anybody's asking.

Mornings are sort of rough. I'm handling it okay, but it's still a challenge. I don't like going to bed at 10 pm, but I know that I need to at least try so that I can function in the morning.

Once I'm at school, it's not all that bad. It's almost kind of nice to be back with other people. During the summer I tend to be a real "homebody" and don't interact with many people besides my immediate family. At school we tend to take a few days to get all caught up with each other and that's always fun.

We have a new superintendent this year. Most people from our building know him, as he did a few inservices for us several years ago. He's FULL of energy and vitality and is just what we need. At our opening breakfast on Monday morning, he had us all laughing, and that was so very nice. He also did a great job of motivating us for the upcoming school year. He's been extremely visible throughout the district too. And of course, one of the most IMPORTANT things he did for the teachers was to say that we can wear JEANS on paydays as long as we wear a shirt with the district colors! I'll have to get a few brown and orange shirts, but I definitely don't mind! Wearing jeans can bring up morale more than anything, except a raise of course!

Sunday night, before going back on Monday morning, was very typical for me. I couldn't sleep. At 11:20 pm, I got up, went to the den and got online to check out the state teachers retirement website. I want to know exactly how many years I have in and when I will be able to retire. I also need to find out about the possibility of buying some years back.

Because I taught for a while, then quit and took my money out of the retirement system, then decided to go back to teaching, I no longer have some years of credit. From what I understand, I can buy them back, but I need to find out a few things, like how much it will cost me! If it's worth it, then it's something I may consider. My biggest concern is insurance after I retire. I need to know how expensive that will be. After I got home on Monday, I called the retirement system to change my address and then asked about buying back years. The woman said that she would send me forms to fill out. They came in the mail yesterday but I haven't gotten into them yet. Filling out the forms is just the first of several steps in finding out how much it will cost to buy those years back. It's just a thought for now, but we'll see how it goes.

Okay, enough of this school stuff for now...it's the WEEKEND!!

0 comments: