Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I Love My Husband and Sons

Given the ages of our sons (18 and 21), it's rare that we all spend an entire evening together. The boys usually have things to do, Ted will watch TV in the living room, and I will be doing "stuff" around the house.

But tonight....tonight was different.

First, we made little teeny tiny meatballs for wedding soup. It took the four of us only about 45 minutes to get SIX pounds of meat rolled. I should have counted the meatballs, but I didn't. Then I boiled them for just about two minutes so that they will be ready to go for the soup on Thursday.

Then...we rolled cookies. I only made a few kinds (Snickerdoodles, Peanut Butter, Peanut Blossoms, and Snowballs) but they all required being rolled into balls. I had made the dough for each kind this afternoon, then tonight, I decided to take advantage of having all the guys together sitting around the kitchen table.

I am moving right along with things, in preparation for the holiday. I'm only about two days behind now! (Which isn't bad, considering I was about a week behind yesterday.)

Tomorrow will just involve:

  • making more Chex Party Mix (we ate what I had made a couple of weeks ago)
  • cleaning the house
  • wrapping the last of the gifts that just arrived today
  • making some pretzel/Rollos/pecan things
  • making chocolate covered peanuts
  • baking a couple of pecan pies
  • accompanying Alex to the orthodontist (long story there...I'll fill you in later)
  • going to church
  • then to my folks' house
  • driving through Story Book Lane
  • looking at some holiday lighting displays
  • coming home
  • getting the gifts put under the tree
  • going to bed

Yes, my dear friends, I am going to make it through this holiday preparation.

As you know, Christmas is coming Thursday, whether we're ready or not.

It's difficult being a wife/mother/daughter who happens to work full-time and still tries to please everyone.

I probably need to just lower my expectations and enjoy the holiday season!


2 comments:

Leeann said...

Cindi,

I think you are doing a REMARKABLE job!

And yes, Christmas goes on whether we are ready or not and ultimately, that is a very liberating thing. Do what you can comfortably do, then just let it go and relax and enjoy your family.

Merry Christmas!

Leeann

PERBS said...

Sounds like there's a lot of fun going on with all that work!