Saturday, May 24, 2008

A New Friend

The other evening Alex went over to AP and UT's (that's Aunt Patty and Uncle Tim for those of you who don't know...and they live off behind us a few hundred yards...and soon the family compound will be expanding, but that's a story for another time).

AP came over then and said that Alex had a new "friend." She said that someone must have dropped a cat off at the farm (part of the family compound) and Alex is the only person the male cat would let come up to him. I looked at Patty and said, "No way. NO WAY are we going to add another cat to our household!"

Patty laughed and said it may be too late. She said it was gray cat, that might only be about 6 months or so old and it seemed to be well taken care of. I told her I didn't want to see it and Alex was NOT to bring it over to our house.

Of course, the next thing I knew Alex was at the back door holding it. It looked so thin and scared.

I tried to ignore it. I really did. The last thing we need is another feline. We love Pepina and Marina dearly, but we trip over them and a third one wouldn't make things any easier. And besides, I don't like odd numbers, so we'd have to get another one to make it an even FOUR. (yeah, I know, it's a goofy quirk, but that's how I am)

Well...Alex put some water in a bowl and some dry cat food in a bowl and Oliver (okay, so we named him, sigh) ate like there was no tomorrow. Alex took an old beach towel and put it on one of the gliders on the back porch and that's where Oliver has spent most of his time.

Now here it is, two days later, and Oliver has more or less settled in on the back porch. He meows continually, and would come right in the house if we would let him, but we're not. We have no idea if he is carrying any diseases or anything and don't want him in contact with Pepina and Marina. Alex is the only one who has held him and when he comes in, I make him take his shirt off and take it straight to the laundry room, in addition to washing his hands and forearms.

"P" and "Mimi" (as we affectionately nicknamed them) have spent a lot of time at the screen door looking at Oliver and yes, even growling and hissing at him.

Since last night Oliver has eaten three cups of dry cat food and a can of Fancy Feast, in addition to drinking a couple of cups of water. I think he was starved and dehydrated.

Patty has said that if I decide to take him to the vet to have him checked out, she will split the cost with me. In my heart I know I should take him, but my common sense side says "Are you NUTS???"

We have french doors in our bedroom that lead to the back patio, and right now he's on the steps, meowing very loudly, looking inside. Pepina and Marina are out in the living room, so they are basically ignoring him.

What have I gotten myself into???

1 comments:

Paulie said...

Came by looking for another chapter for your love story and none. sigh You sure know how to leave me hanging!

So all I can say about this post is hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe