Friday, March 6, 2009

Two Words

There are two words that I absolutely can NOT stand to see misspelled. It just drives me crazy. I've told all my students and up until this year I had a policy that if they misspelled either of these words, they would write them 100 times. This year I'm not doing hardly any writing activities (not my choice...the district told us what we had to do this year, sigh) so I don't have that policy in place.

But when I did enforce it, the children knew about it from the first day of school. I reminded them often. If they were not sure how to spell either of these words, all they had to do was ask me, and I would tell them. When the kids came to see me in the classroom I share with another teacher, I even had a L O N G banner stretching across the top of the bulletin board that had the 100 most misspelled words on it and the two words in question appeared there.

I would have to dish out the 100 times assignment about once a month, and that was it. Everyone knew my pet peeve and the kids would even remind each other about it.

So just WHAT ARE the two words, you may be asking yourself???

THEY and BECAUSE

And wouldn't you know...today when I was reading some blogs, I saw both words misspelled. It will take a while for me to go back to those blogs....just on general principles!

4 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

For one year, I got my entire second grade class to say "ask" instead of "axe." It is still one of my proudest accomplishments.

Leeann said...

Seriously?

How could someone misspell "They?"

Do they write Thay?

angie {the arthur clan} said...

I'm with Leeann...someone can misspell "they?" That's just crazy!

angie {the arthur clan} said...

P.S. I have a friend that shortens everything when she is writing and it drives me nuts. The word she shortens most often is "because."

It instead become "cuz" or "becuz." URGH! I hate that!